Tuition and Fixed Fees
The following tuition rates will be charged each semester. These rates apply to courses taken for credit and for audit. TUITION AND ALL FEES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF NECESSARY TO COMPLY WITH NEW STATE LAWS AND BOARD POLICY.
In-District (Howard County Residents)
$67 per semester hour with a base amount of $150. Qualified Texas Deaf residents shall be exempt from tuition fees beginning with the fall semester of 1995 as documented.
Out-of-District (Texas Residents)
$112 per semester hour with a base amount of $180. In order to establish in-district residency, a student must have been a resident of Texas for twelve consecutive months immediately prior to enrollment, including six months as a resident in Howard County. Moving into the Howard County Junior College District for the specific purpose of enrolling in Howard College or SWCID does not establish legal residence in the district.
Non-Resident (Out of State and International)
Howard College - $159 per semester hour with a base amount of $200
SWCID - $465 per semester hour, no base, based on State Law 131.005.
Non-State Funded Course Fee
A charge of $70 per credit hour will be added to the tuition charged for courses that do not qualify for state funding, including but not limited to the following conditions:
- A student’s third attempt or more at the same course.
- A student taking a developmental course who has exceeded 18 semester credit hours of developmental course work.
- Any other circumstances for which state funding is not received.
$80 per semester - Big Spring, Lamesa, and SWCID
$300 per semester - San Angelo
Student Services Fee
| 1-5 Semester Credit Hours
| 6-11 Semester Credit Hours
| 12+ Semester Credit Hours
If space is available at the close of regular registration, students age 65 and older may enroll for up to six hours of courses each semester and/or summer term without payment of tuition. All fees will be charged. If space is available at the close of regular registration, students age 65 and older may audit any course(s) at no charge. This exemption will only be honored upon request in person. Registration must be completed on site each registration period. This exemption does not apply to programs with limited enrollment and/or competitive selection.
The GoPrint system is used for tracking and charging for printing on network printers. GoPrint accounts are set to a $5.00 balance at the beginning of each semester (equivalent to 50 pages single sided black and white printing) and $2.50 at the beginning of each summer term (May Mini, Summer I and Summer II). If the $5.00/$2.50 is depleted, students may add additional money to their printing account as needed. No refunds will be given for balances remaining on GoPrint accounts at the end of the semester.
Charges are levied as follows:
- 10 cents per page for single sided black and white
- 14 cents per page duplex black and white
- 40 cents per page for single sided color
No refunds will be given for balances remaining on GoPrint accounts at the end of the semester. GoPrint accounts may be recharged at the business office on each campus during normal college business hours.
- Certain fees or other costs may be reduced or waived by the college President or designee for students who are enrolled in classes taken in facilities provided for the purpose of instruction when these locations are located in the college’s service area or have been approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Certain costs are reduced for inmates at correctional facilities enrolled in academic transfer courses. The base tuition for inmates at correctional facilities enrolled in credit-bearing college courses is $50 for in-district, $100 for out-of-district, and $140 for non-resident students. The hourly rate is $40 for in-district, $52 for out-of-district, and $74 for non-resident.
- Tuition, fees and/or other costs may be reduced or waived by the college President or designee for students enrolled in classes contracted through a private or public business entity. These are considered on a case-by-case basis and dependent on factors such as class size.
- Certain costs are reduced for concurrently enrolled high school students. The base tuition for high school students enrolled in academic transfer courses is $50 for in-district, $100 for out-of-district, and $140 for non-resident students. Hourly tuition is $48 for in-district, $60 for out-of-district and $82 for non-resident. Fees are waived.
- The tuition rate for high school students concurrently enrolled in Workforce Education courses is $0. Students may be responsible for certain course or program costs such as insurance, licensure requirements, testing, certification, equipment, etc.
- The tuition rate for the summer terms immediately following a student’s graduation from high school is reduced as described below:
- Academic transfer courses: The base tuition is $50 for in-district, $100 for out of district, and $140 for non-resident students. Hourly tuition is $48 for in-district, $60 for out-of-district, and $82 for non-resident. Fees are waived.
- Workforce education courses: The tuition rate is $0. Students may be responsible for certain course or program costs such as insurance, licensure requirements, testing, certification, equipment, etc.