This program in Dental Hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation and by the United States Department of Education.
Admission into the program is based on a point system that takes into consideration several factors:
- Must be at least 18 years of age upon graduation from this program
- Minimum college GPA of 2.5 out of a 4.0 scale
- Howard College admission application
- Dental Hygiene admission application
- College or university transcript(s) (OFFICIAL)
- Work experience in dental office or 30 hours of observation (verified)
- Completion ("C" or higher) of the following courses is required prior to acceptance:
Completion ("C" or higher) of the following courses is recommended prior to acceptance:
- English Composition (ENGL 1301 )
- General Psychology (PSYC 2301 )
- Introductory Sociology
- A program application must be completed on-line (www.howardcollege.edu) by February 1 of the year applying. Address completed Howard College paper application to: Director of Dental Hygiene, Howard College, 1001 Birdwell Lane, Big Spring, TX 79720.
The student MUST receive a MINIMUM grade of "C" and maintain a 2.5 overall GPA in EACH support (non-dental hygiene) course as well as EACH dental hygiene course. The student must attain and maintain minimum competencies in all laboratory and clinical skills.
Dental hygiene students are required to purchase liability insurance prior to the beginning of clinical laboratory experience. Arrangements to purchase insurance at a reduced group rate will be made through the Howard College Business Office in conjunction with the payment of other required fees.
Dental hygiene students must also purchase an instrument kit and uniforms through the department. For information on current estimated costs for these items, contact the Director of the Dental Hygiene program.